Public Administration was established in 1991 as a sub-division of the Office of the Prime Minister. The Ministry of Public Administration and Information was first established in 1996 with a broader portfolio. Subsequently it was restructured as the Ministry of Public Administration in May 2000; however the Ministry was dissolved in December of the same year, following a change in administration.
Within one year the gap created through the dissolution of the Ministry was recognized and the Ministry was reconstituted as the Ministry of Public Administration in December 2001, once again following National Elections. It was then reconfigured as the Ministry of Public Administration and Information in 2003. Subsequent to the November 2007, National Election, the Ministry has been reconfigured as the Ministry of Public Administration with the following portfolio assignment:
National Information Communication and Technology
- Programme Management
- Public Management Consulting
- Public Service Academy
- Public Service Transformation
- Property and Real Estate Services
- Scholarships and Advanced Training.
The Minister of Public Administration also has oversight responsibility for the Government Human Resource Services Company Limited (GHRS), Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT), Personnel Department (PD), Service Commissions Department (SCD), Statutory Authorities Service Commission (SASC), and the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU).
Although the MPA has experienced several changes in name, size and configuration between 1996 and 2008, its core mandate of Public Service Transformation has remained essentially intact. However, a major addition to the mandate is the implementation of the National Connectivity Agenda. As such, the MPA has a key role in driving the competitiveness of the national economy through capacity building and infrastructure development related to the ICT sector.
Leadership: The MPA's leadership has also evolved, as reflected in the stewardship of it's four Ministers:
- Senator the Honourable Gordon Draper; Minister in the OPM with responsibility for Public Administration - (1991 - 1996)
- Senator the Honourable Wade Mark - (1996 - 2000)
- Senator the Honourable Lenny K. Saith - (2001 - 2007)
- The Honourable Kennedy Swaratsingh - (December 2007 - 2010)
- Senator the Honourable Rudrawatee Nan Ramgoolam - (2010 - June 2011).
- The Honourable Carolyn Seepersad - Bachan - (June 2011- present.)
The Ministry's administrative leadership (Permanent Secretary) also underwent several changes:
- Mr. Ainsley Tim Pow was the Permanent Secretary Office of the Prime Minister - (1991 - 1996)
- Ms. Rita Portillo Permanent Secretary of the first MPAI - (1996 - 1999)
- Mrs. Jacqueline Wilson - (1999 - 2000 and 2001 - 2007)
- Ms. Gillian Macintyre - (Ag. 2007)
- Mrs. Arlene McComie - (2007 - 2011)
- Ms. Gillian Macintyre -(Ag. March 2011-present.)
If you have further questions on the Ministry of Public Administration please fill out our feedback form.